We’d like to introduce ourselves: The Unicorn Fundraising Committee is a newly formed group of parents which will be driving the school’s major fundraising events in 2019. The committee includes: Leigh-Anne October (sponsor/prizes), Keith & Ashleigh Mclaren, Corene Alexander (events co-ordinators), Liezl Wagenaar (marketing & comms), Claire Wiltshire, Carol Manthata and Dr. Adnene Fhima.
As a private school, we receive no government funding and must raise money for resources not covered by school fees ourselves. These include items such as sports equipment, learning resources, school upgrades and building projects etc.
By continually upgrading our school, we create a sense of pride, team spirit and excitement amongst the teachers, children and parents; and we are building an even greater school for future Unicorn learners.
How much money do we raise
Our awesome “behind the scenes” parents raise over R200 000 each year; mainly through the “Big Walk” and the much-loved Golf Day; as well as various smaller events. Much of this funding comes through the extended Unicorn family – thank you!
What have we used the money for
Just some of the major projects achieved through fundraising are:
- 2007: Building of the Pavilion
- 2008: Swimming pool built
- 2012-2014: installation of smart boards in all classrooms
- 2017: Sport field bathroom upgrades
- 2018: introduction of an exciting interactive robotics programme * (*Click here for more information)
Did you know
Unicorn gives back to the community too. We regularly make donations to the SPCA, Noah’s Ark, God’s Haven and other underprivileged members of the local community.
What do we still need
Our wish list for the next three years includes (in no order of priority):
1) *Expand the robotics programme (see above link)
2) Provide extra readers in Grades R-4
3) Purchase extra benches for the Grade 1 play area
4) Lay grass in and upgrade the Grade 1 play area/quad
5) Upgrade the school bathrooms (hand sanitisers/hand dryers/paper towel dispensers)
6) Upgrade the IT computer software and hardware
7) Build a soccer field with artificial grass for Foundation Phase
8) Contribute towards the special needs classroom equipment (contact Ian Houston for more information)
9) Unicorn branding of Gazebos/sports equipment/podium
10) Extending extra grand stands for sports fields
11) A generator!
How will we get there?
In addition to various smaller events, we will continue to host the Unicorn Golf Day (19 October 2019),however, based on feedback will be replacing the Big Walk with 1 or 2 fun new social event fundraisers this year. WATCH THIS SPACE!
Note:Traditionally the Grade 7s present a gift to the school, for which they and the parents run separate minor fundraising events. Note that these funds get added to the overall fundraising for the year.
New ideas are always welcome! If you know of a great fundraising initiative that you think will work for us, please contact Britt.Dando@gmail.com